Re: Topband: Skirted vertical antennas for MF broadcast

To: "Robert Parkes" <rparkes197@aol.com>, "Robert Parkes via Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Skirted vertical antennas for MF broadcast
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 11:12:07 -0400
I have been using at C6AGU a similar design that I call "Fat Vertical". Scroll down on the C6AGU QRZ.com page to see a picture of it. The antenna is 60' tall with sloping loading wires attached to the outer corners of the "fat wires". Feed point impedance is 12 - 120 Ohms, which is matched by a remotely controlled antenna coupler. The antenna stands in salt water on an aluminum base that provides grounding. No radials. We used a 43' version on 160 on the 2018 Baker Island DXpedition (43' was max height allowed by USFWS). The antenna stood at the edge of the water with two slightly elevated radials. It had decent performance: N4IS in FL heard me tuning up with 10 W -- in July!

73,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU