Re: Topband: Beverage upgrade question

To: w5zn@w5zn.org, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage upgrade question
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 10:54:45 -0400

Hello Kenny

I have been playing around with antennas and feedlines over many years and have found that your ears cannot immediately tell the difference between a 1 dB change due to fading, atmospheric noise variations, QRN etc. I have had scalar and vector analyzers over that time to determine gain and loss improvements with some accuracy.   A 1 dB change is very hard to nail down with a quick A-B test. If you listen over a week or so, you can tell that a 1 dB change in your system made a difference. If you have a 2 dB change, it is immediately noticeable with A-B comparisons.  That does not mean that you should not worry about any losses in your system. Get rid of any loss.  They do add up.

One thing I noticed was that hanging ferrites all over my beverage feedlines was a huge help in keeping noise low in your system. You would be surprised at how much noise comes in your receiver from the wrong place!  I put two ground rods at the transformer end of the beverage separated by about 25 ft and outfitted with plastic boxes with toroids and the feedline wrapped around it for each spot. I also put more toroids and ground rods where the feed lines enter the building.  There are toroids all over the place and I live out in the country!  See ON4UN's Low Band DXing  5th edition.  Joel is right in that you must install the beverage properly.  I am no expert on 160 meters, but Joel sure is!!

Dave K1WHS