Re: Topband: Ground conductivity discussions

To: Dennis Ashworth <dennis@ashworth.org>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground conductivity discussions
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 09:19:27 -0800
Sounds like a great project.

Isn't the reality that conductors (radials) in or near lossy mediums (earth, even salt water) have loss? And that the near field extends beyond the 1/4wl of the radials? The coupling among elements might be the reason 4:1 matching was used.

So while more & longer radials reduce the loss, there is a limit. Note that my prior post for my antenna shows the feedpoint Z equals the Rr value of about 14 ohms only when the radials are elevated 100ft. Often called a ground plane antenna.

I played a bit in Eznec with my antenna and a lot (128) more radials a few inches above your ground and saw essentially no change in Rg. Your higher conductivity ground will improve the pattern - more gain at lower angles.

So I suspect adding 26 more radials to the existing 32 1/4wl will not make much improvement in Rg. I think Severns and Christman show this in their papers.

Other solutions to lower ground loss is higher Rr of the antenna to improve the ratio Rr/Rg. eg 1/4wl tall verticals. The center fed 720ft BCB antennas eg KDKA are another solution. ie vertical dipoles.

Grant KZ1W