Re: Topband: Wednesday 160m CW Activity Night

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Wednesday 160m CW Activity Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:25:43 -0500
I am starting to feel "shell- shocked".   I had two storms come through here in rapid succession. Storm #1 produced incredibly heavy wet snow. It caused many trees to suffer with large broken limbs. The snow depth was 13.5 inches. It really stuck to the trees. All of my eight beverage antennas were damaged as they run though the woods and had all sorts of large branches fall on them, dropping the wires.  Then the XYL and I both got Covid and were sick in bed for a week or so. This past Friday, a large rain/ windstorm wiped everything out. We lost power for a few days and the temps dropped to single digits for a few days.  Everything froze up solid. Many of the beverage wires managed to get frozen to the ground. (Not fun) My internet connection was out for almost five days. The damage is quite bad to many of the trees and the typical scene is a 24" tree trunk (White Pine) snapped in half about 25 ft up off the ground. The top part then falls and takes out many trees around it as it comes down. I counted six big trees down across the beverages and many of the wires have snapped. I spent a day chain sawing and then followed up with another day repairing the beverage wire with home made splices. I use aluminum wire and the splices are aluminum barrels with four sets of 8-32 s.s. set screws. The high winds combined with huge amounts of water and the melting snow plus rain managed to wash out the road that goes up to my VHF hamshack. I had just paid to have the road repaired about a month ago and all the stone they put down is now gone or in the wrong place!

After two days of working in the woods, I have some of the wires fixed. I figure another two days and I will have the 160 receive antennas working again. I m  not sure what to do about the road.

73

Dave K1WHS