Re: [RFI] 160m spur

To: rfi <rfi@contesting.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 160m spur
From: Frank W3LPL <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 19:40:34 -0500 (EST)
Hi Bob,

Do you recall when you -- or anyone else -- first noticed the
WKDM/WWRU spurious emissions on 1940 kHz?

The FCC rule regarding emissions more then 75 kHz from an
AM broadcasters assigned frequency is contained in Code of Federal Regulations
Title 47 Chapter I Subchapter C Part 73 Subpart A
§ 73.44  AM transmission system emission limitations

(b) Emissions removed by more than 75 kHz must be attenuated at least
43 + 10 Log (Power in watts) or 80 dB below the unmodulated carrier
level, whichever is the lesser attenuation.

Its absolutely certain that the WKDM/WWRU emissions being heard hundreds
of miles away in the U.S. and Canada on 1940 kHz greatly exceed 100 milliwatts
(80dB below 10 kilowatts).

Do you think you can find someone with access to spectrum analyzer
who can measure the intermod signal strength relative to the WKDM and WWRU
transmitted signal strengths?  That  measurement can probably be done
at your QTH since the 1940 kHz emission is so strong there.  Maybe your
Flex radio can do the measurement?

The next step is for someone affected by the 1940 kHz spurious emission
to contact the WKDM/WWRU station managers, not the FCC.

73
Frank
W3LPL