Re: Topband: CQWW160: Night 2

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CQWW160: Night 2
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 00:24:44 -0800
There was a decent opening from here in Southern California to Europe on Saturday night around 0500 UTC that lasted approximately two and a half hours. Over the course of the opening, I heard stations from 9A, OM, YU, S5, DL, PA, G, GW, E7, and GJ. I was able make QSOs with DL and GJ (and I had a maybe with E7). I was hoping that similar circumstances would materialize for the Sunday morning opening to Asia. When I heard K0DI in Florida work a JA station, I became even more convinced that we were in for a JA bonanza later in the morning. Unfortunately it was a huge bust. It was as if someone dropped a huge D-layer cloud over Japan. Strangely enough, several BY stations seemed to be unaffected by the poor propagation, in particular, BY4SZ who had a massive signal in Southern California. Unfortunately, he was hearing impaired. I think W6YA might have gotten through to him, but I certainly didn't. I heard one DU station, but he also couldn't hear me.

Never take propagation from granted on Topband :-)

73, Mike W4EF..........