Masts and stacking considerations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Masts and stacking considerations
From: fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:54:48 -0400
Steve, you wrote:
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but going
>from 2 inch to 3 inch isn't necessarily going to save you any money because
>it doesn't significantly increase the strength of the mast.

I think some mechanical engineers would disagree with you on this one.
Increasing the diameter dramatically increases the section modulus -
and therefore the maximum moment the mast can withstand. It does so
at a greater rate per $ than increasing wall thickness or yield strength.
I'm straining my memory, but I think section modulus is proportional
to the fourth power of outer diameter (minus fourth power of inner diameter).

Anyone have 'QHS's book with 'em?

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com