Antenna Erection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Antenna Erection
From: grhosler1@mmm.com (grhosler1@mmm.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 12:40:27 -0500

  I will send you an SASE for a copy of the information Steve.  Sounds like
  just what I need to put up a 4 EL DX Eng. 20M monobander (40' boom).  I
  had planned to use a tram type line attached to the mast about 5 feet
  above where the beam will be bolted to the mast.  This should compensate
  for the distance between the tram line and the boom (lifting sling and
  pulley distance).  The mast is only 2" x .250 wall so I had also planned
  to back guy the mast at the same point that the tram line is attached
  thus preventing bending the mast from the weight of the antenna.  What
  material do you use for the tram line?  I was thinking of 3/16" guy line,
  but would you trust 1/8"?

                 73's de KN0Z  Gary in Wyoming, MN

   From: k7lxc@aol.com

   Does anyone know of any articles on using a trolley-cable system to put
   >up a beam? We're thinking of using it for a 3-el 40 meter Yagi.

   Hi, Zack --

   You've got the right idea but the wrong technique.  The "trolley" or
   "railroad track" is where you have two ropes or cables and the antenna
   sits on top of them.  There's a lot of friction in this type of system
   as well as antennas bouncing around, etc.

   I use a tramming system for about 95% of my antenna installs.  It'll
   work with guyed towers, trees, etc.  In a nutshell, you have a tram wire
   attached to the top of the tower and the antenna is slung UNDER the tram
   wire on an upsidedown pulley.  The haul rope goes through a snatch block
   at the bottom of the tower, up through a pulley at the point of tram
   wire attachment and down to the load.  When you pull the haul line, the
   load on the pulley goes up the tramline.  It takes about 1-2 hours to
   rig it but only about 10 minutes to run the antenna up.

   Another advantage is that you can run the antenna partially up the wire
   and test it in the air.  It only takes a couple of minutes to drop it
   down and retune it and run it up again to verify your change.   There
   are a couple of subtleties such as tag line management and two-step
   lifts that are also involved.

   BTW, I have a copy of an article I wrote on antenna erection that
   includes diagrams of the tram rigging system.  If you're interested in a
   copy, send me an SASE or your postal address.

   73,  Steve   K7LXC