Tensioning guys & keeping plumb

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tensioning guys & keeping plumb
From: k2wk@crystal.palace.net (Walt Kornienko)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 03:05:51 -0400 (EDT)
I have a question regarding tensioning guy wires and
keeping the tower plumb while this operation is being
performed.

About a year ago I put up 90' of Rohn 55G guyed with 1/4"
EHS.  The tower was plumbed during and after erection.
The guy wires have some play in them and need to be
tensioned to the recommneded 10% of breaking strength,
or 650#.  I got a Loos tension  guage and will be ready
to take on this chore in the very near future.  Does
anyone have any suggestions as to how to perform the
tensioning (the order), and how to preserve the plumbness
of the tower.  Should I tension all the guys to some
intermediate, arbitray, tension,  like 200#, and then
repeat the process until the desired tension is achieved.

Theoretically, if the tower is plumb, and the guy
wires are on level greound and equally spaced from the
tower, the tension in the guys should be the same.
Correct?  The real world doesn't always present perfect
situations. What happens if the guys are not on level
ground and/or the distance to the guy anchors is not
exactly uniform?  How does one tension the guy wires
in this instance. I suspect the tension will not be
equal on all guy wires.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

73 & CU this weekend from N2WM.

*                73 de Walt Kornienko - K2WK (FRC)              *
*        k2wk@crystal.palace.net  or  K2WK@N2BIM.NJ.NOAM        *
*        Snail: 52 Sunset Inn Rd  Lafayette,  NJ   07848        *
*        201-579-1966  (machine)  or 201-579-3660 (shack)       *