Hygain 52' Crankup - good for me?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Hygain 52' Crankup - good for me?
From: JKAHRS@delphi.com (JKAHRS@delphi.com)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 22:54:49 -0500 (EST)
On 28-JUN-1996 20:43:31.3 neader said to JKAHRS
<snip>
   > Your thoughts on either my plans for a station or on the crank-up
   >would be much appreciated!!!!
   > 73 - Scott KA9FOX

Scott, I have one of the early 52SS twrs ...circa 1981,  I have moved it
three times leaving my monument to ham radio at each QTH...the concrete
base.  Here in NW Florida it has survived a few tropical storms and a few
hurricanes (ERIN & OPAL).  In its early years, it had a TH3 at 53 ft and a
32-19 boomer at 63 ft.  For the past 2 years it had a PRO67B at 53 ft and
that same boomer.  I like it because I can crank it down for WX.  Some of
out thunder storms can be ruff too!  I have a TX2 rotor in it BUT the
installation took some thought.  I had to drill more holes, jack it up on
stand-offs and then only can drop it when the rotor is in a certain
direction.  The TX2 IS a big rotor for that top section.  The rebar base
will set you back about $125...last time I bought was 1986 tho.  I like the
system I have now.  One coax, 40 - 10 meters with gain and directivity.  The
F/B is not great on the ant but not much south of me here...5 miles from the
Gulf.

73, Hank/K2UVG
jkahrs@delphi.com