Goodbye trapped antennas?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Goodbye trapped antennas?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 13:58:04 -0400

>Steve has a TH7, which per Tony, is 1 db better than the C3. Why is it a
>good move to swap it, if the TH7 is a better performer?
>
>My 2 TH7s have performed flawlessly, electrically and mechanically, since
>intial installation (one up 5-6 years, other up 2 years).

Hi, Barry --

      Well, 12 and 17M to name one reason.  A stack of TH7's is a jim dandy
setup that I certainly envy. Don't get me wrong, I recommend a TH7DX or
KT34XA as a high performance tribander in my article on "building a one tower
station" and talk that I gave at the contest forum at Dayton this year.   I
have spent enough time installing, using, selling antennas (as National Sales
Manager for Hy-Gain) as well as talking to antenna gurus/designers that I see
that the new trapless designs such as the Force 12 and the new design
introduced at Dayton by WA3FET and K3LR are putting the lid on the coffin of
trapped antennas.  IMO the era of trapped antennas is coming to a close.  I
feel that the  increased efficiency of the new trapless designs  and
performance will be borne out over time.

73,  Steve  K7LXC