Climbing a crank up and wench/winch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Climbing a crank up and wench/winch
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 22:47:36 -0400
Never climb a crank up as a safety precaution and because every maker says
not to...A slip of a fraction of an inch can mean toes or fingers.  Rohn had
a great illustration in their older catalogs.  One look at that picture and
the idea of climbing will be gone FOREVER!!!!
Use either a platform or put some 2 by 4's through to stand on.  I use 2x4's.

Fulton used to spell their mechanisms wenches...the last one I have (got
from US Tower) now says winch.  From now on I'll use the modern spelling so
we don't make the YL's unhappy.

Dave K4JRB