PRO-67C, Any Comments?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: PRO-67C, Any Comments?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 03:12:48 -0400
>I am putting up new antennas, and I am seriously considering the PRO-67C.
>Gain on all bands ('cept for 30, but it works there) 40-10. I realize that
>its heavy, but I would have it all covered with one skyhook.

Hi, Bill --

        I've been a professional tower and antenna installer since 1982 and
have worked on over 100 amateur stations in western Washington.  I write "Up
The Tower" in CQ Contest magazine; before that for over 4 years in the NCJ.
 Also am a contester and former National Sales Manager for Hy-Gain Amateur
Products.  I presented a paper at the Dayton contest forum this year on
"building a one tower station".
     Having said that, I do not recommend the bigger Mosley antennas to
anyone.  While they have robust mechanical designs and decent SWR, their
performance is not on a level with the TH7DX or KT34XA.  The patterns are
"soft" (read little or no FB or FS) and few competitive contesters have them
in their arsenal.  After my presentation above, a guy came up and asked me
why I didn't recommend Mosley antennas.  I told him that that was the reason;
I didn't recommend the Mosleys.  If you are interested, I can send you a copy
of my article that the Dayton presentation was based on.  Send me your postal
address and I'll be happy to send you a copy.  BTW, there are two local guys
that would be willing to give you a bargain on a PRO67; I can give you their
phone numbers.  BTW, the performance, or lack of, is why they are selling
them.
     Their performance doesn't have anything to do with the myriad problems
of being a small business.
     The compromises and deficiencies of multiband trapped antennas are
becoming more clear.  With trapless multiband antenna designs such as the
Force 12 and others, I predict that the era of trapped antennas is coming to
a close.  The lid is being lowered on the coffin of trapped antennas.  BTW,
this year is the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the TH6DX.       73,
 Steve  K7LXC