raising top of cement tower base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: raising top of cement tower base
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:50:11 -0400
Hi,

        I put in a cement base for a Rohn 45 clone about three years
ago.  The base was simply a hole filled with cement, with a short 3 foot
section buried in the cement (on which the first 10' section is bolted).

        I have since realized that the top of the cement is about an inch
or two below ground level.  There are times in the winter (when the snow
melts) that there will be a couple of inches of standing water on the
base.  (The water does not drain well if the ground below it is still
frozen hard.)  I would like to add about three inches of cement to this
base so that the water will run off and not remain around the tower legs.
There enough clearance to the bottom of the first section.  What I
need to know is - with what should I treat the current cement so that
the new cement is properly bonded to it?

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT