wind force design criteria

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: wind force design criteria
From: Henry Knoll <Henry.Knoll-1@tc.umn.edu> (Henry Knoll)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 08:40:06

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996 14:36:36 -0700 (PDT),
w7ni@teleport.com wrote...

>Since 70 mph is the minimum listed wind velocity for ANYWHERE in the US,
>how
>come crankup towers are always rated for 50 mph?  I think I know why.  You
>can't put any load on them at 70 mph, at least with any kind of safety
>factor.  I think we, as a group, should demand 70 mph ratings from crankup
>manufacturers.  I know this will negatively impact their business . . . as
>it should!!
>
>Stan w7ni@teleport.com

Stan, the 70 mph wind data for crank-towers has been published for many
years.  See the article by Roger Cox at Telex in the June 1984 issue
of Ham Radio Magazine.  I also got the same info from Tri-Ex when
I put up my crank-up 4 years ago.

Sorry my last message got fouled up and this wasn't part of it.

73   Henry   WA0GOZ