Guy spacing & placement....

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Guy spacing & placement....
From: cbrudtk@uswest.com (Chuck Brudtkuhl)
Date: 7 Aug 1996 07:31:36 -0600
I have found two concepts handy when placing guy wires, and one of them
addresses the gentleman's concern about the XYL QRN....

1. From the Rohn book, I calculated the ANGLE at which Rohn shows the guys
leaving the tower, for upper, center and lower guys (or more).  I then have
attempted to keep my angle of departure greater than this.....because...

2. At the ground end of the guy, to save necks, cusswords when mowing or just
plain due to lack of space.... I plant a vertical pole in the ground and take
the guys to the top of the pole.  Using the angles from #1 and a
little trig, it is easy to determine where to place the pole, how long the
physical guy will be, etc.  Also, this decreases the lateral distance required
from the base of the tower to the guy anchor point for those "tight"
situations, using less real estate.

I have used different materials for the anchor pole, the last one I put up
uses 5 inch diameter, very thick walled pipe which is sunk 4 or 5 feet in the
ground in concrete....with the pipe also filled with concrete.  Hasn't moved.

I have also utilized lighter pipe with a single heavy backguy.  About all this
accomplished was to get the lower, more horizontal guys up in the air about
7ft...but it helps when mowing, etc. and (more importantly) gets that mass of
guy wires, turnbuckles, equalizing plate, etc., just high enough into the tree
leaves that the XYL approves (or at least doesn't disapprove).

And in one case, where the guy needed to hit ground about 10ft into a
building, a vertical support was placed at the corner of the building and a
front brace (toward the tower) made of heavy steel angle was placed in
concrete.  After the shrubs et al grew up it became nearly invisible.

Paint the poles to match the background and the existence of guy anchors
becomes much much less noticeable.  So don't be afraid to use your imagination
as long as you keep the mfgr's requirements in mind.

73, Chuck
WA0ROI