Zoning Boards

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Zoning Boards
From: n4xm@iglou.com (Paul D. Schrader)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 96 16:47 EDT
This is really true--may it help someone.

Many years ago we faced the zoning problems locally and I addressed
the Planning and Zoning  board about the safety issue (and other
issues).

I pointed out that they now have the authority to make sure things
are safe under the BOCA code and that there was no reason to single
out amateur radio towers.  In fact I pointed out that it was out and
out discrimination when telephone poles, church steeples and TREES
had no rules.  I pointed out to them that trees will cause more damage
than towers if they should fall BECAUSE THEY WEIGH MORE.  I also pointed
out that no one makes a structural analysis of a tree.  I also mentioned
that I could show them examples of very large half dead trees hanging over
streets.

Don't give in on this.

ARRL was made aware of our ability to convince the locals here and we have
no requirement at all except for FAA and FCC rules.

I am a registered Professional Electrical Engineer.

We all want things safe, but discrimination is another story.  Every time I
make an antenna speech at a local radio club I remind them about this, and
how we are all in this together: don't allow anyone to put up a tower system
that is not proper in all respects.

                        73,

                           Paul N4XM