Crank-Up Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Crank-Up Guys
From: k7fr@ncw.net (Gary Nieborsky)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:38:21 -0700
At 06:01 PM 8/19/96 -0400, you wrote:
> Hi guys & gals, at a recent weekend gathering of a few fellow hams, the
>following discussion evolved:
>
> How about using 3 full sized 40 meter slopers as a guying system on a 51'
>Tri-EX Crank-up. The idea
>was to have a remotely controlled antenna switch mounted on the tower.
> In looking an the 95 ARRL Handbook, and finding Antenna Wire Strength in
>Table 30.33, some interesting
>discussions followed. Assuming that using insulators, supports, etc, at
>least as strong as the wire,
>can it be done, has anyone done anything like this ??
>
> Thanks for the replies, in advance !!!!!

Paul,

Guying a self-supporter is not a good idea!  You are introducing additional
downward forces in the cables and pulleys that it probably wasn't designed
for.  I'd stay away from it!

I've got a W51 and think that the best way to make it survive is to crank it
down.  I am in a windy area here and have lost many points because I went
out and nested the top section into the bottom section during high winds.
But on the other hand, it has survived 17 years of regular 100+ winds (as
have the antennas).

I've finally gotten used to the moans and groans from my 110' 45G in the
same winds.

73 Gary K7FR