How to ground a Triex Sky Needle

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: How to ground a Triex Sky Needle
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:42:03 -0400
>I have a Triex Sky Needle.  It is tubular and about 8 or 10 inches in
>diameter
>at the base, so there's no easy way I know of to connect ground wires to it.
>
>Furthermore, there are no round members (other than the mounting bolts,
which
>are about 1.5" in diameter) near the bottom to attach to.  There are some
 flat
>galvanized plates which brace the tube against the base, but I don't want to

>do anything which will scrape off or damage the galvanizing.  You have any
>ideas how I can provide a good low impedance connection to this tower?

Hi, Dean --

     Sure!  Andrew makes what they call an 'angle adapter' (p/n 31768A); we
called them beam clamps.  Anyway, it's a stainless steel U-shaped bracket
that will bolt on flat tower members and is part of the Andrew ground kit.
 The jaws will fit up to a 7/8 inch thick plate.  You bolt your ground wire
to it and there you go.  The bolt that secures the angle adapter to the plate
member actually digs in through the galvanizing to give you a real nice
mechanical and electrical joint.  Tower Tech has them for $7.00.

73 and tnx for your interest,  Steve   K7LXC