Basic guywire informatio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Basic guywire informatio
From: cbrudtk@uswest.com (Chuck Brudtkuhl)
Date: 26 Aug 1996 09:30:49 -0600
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               RE>Basic guywire information request

You have an excellent idea here Steve.  I have been doing this for quite some
time....not using pre-forms at the anchor point.  Furthermore, I don't use
turn-buckles at the anchor point anymore either.  Found them to be more
trouble than their worth .... and added cost.

I use the "come-along" on the free end and use it for tensioning of guys.
When it is time to re-tension, I go thru the same procedure.  In the long run,
for me, this is less hassle than running out of turnbuckle.

A couple clues from my "experience" if you're new at this (and I'm not a "pro"
either) .....  use a rope & pulley come-along rather than a ratchet job...more
control and one can even build your own from hardware store parts (assuming
you have access to the cable grips which are a must for this method).

And don't forget the safety part....make sure those turnbuckles, if used, are
locked in place.  If close to the ground, a rod inserted thru all turnbuckles
and pushed into the ground will suffice.  If off ground, a figure-8 of cable
run thru all eyes and buckles will not only keep the buckles from turning, but
will provide a modest amount of "backup" in case a buckle should let go.

73 Chuck
WA0ROI