Wind area of mast.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Wind area of mast.
From: k7fr@ncw.net (Gary Nieborsky)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 12:48:30 -0700
At 11:24 AM 9/5/96 -0400, you wrote:

>I want to calculate the effective wind area of
>a 2" diameter mast that is 72" long.
>
>Therefore 72" X 2" = 144 sq.in = 1 sq.ft.
>
>The calculation above would be accurate if the
>mast were square.  But because it's round
>isn't there a constant I neet to multiply the
>result by.
>
>If anyone know this constant please let me know
>and also tell me its source such as EIA-222, etc.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Gene
>WD8OZL

George,

The shape factor is the number that you are looking for.  For round member
shape factor is 1.0.  For a flat surface the shape factor is 1.6.

This all factors into the equation:  Load in Lbs. = 0.00256 x (V mph)**2 x
Shape Factor x Projected Area.

This is from Section 25 of the National Electrical Safety Code, ANSI
C2-1997.  (The bible of electric utilities)

This section has its roots in the UBC regarding wind loads.

It also contains some nifty parts about calculating the wind load on a
lattice work tower and some caveats regarding the use of extreme wind loading.

Hope this helps.

Gary K7FR