Sideguying booms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Sideguying booms
From: wa2syn@li.net (Jeff Singer)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 23:31:42 -0400 (EDT)
Tks John, for your solid advice on sideguying my 42' boom. Here's what we
did:

For fiberglas poles, we went to Home Depot and purchased 2 Rubbermaid
broom handle replacements (bright 'stinger' yellow) for 5.99 ea. They are
1-inch od. We cut these to 42 inches each.

I was lucky enough to have the remains of my previous kt34-xa lying
around, so I took one of the element to boom insulators from it and placed
it upside down at the approximate center of the 40M4 boom.

For additional support we used some flexible gray conduit (I forget the
size, but it fit very snugly) and cut 6-inch reinforcements from it which
we then placed inside each end. We drilled all the holes and used the
element inserts (black lexan halves) on top and bottom of the new
"element" at the insulator mount, and then just passed and criss-crossed
some thin phillystran through 2 holes drilled at the ends and then tied
back to attachment rings on the boom (also from the old xa).

We pulled the whole thing nice and tight with turnbuckles, and I believe
this will do the job. Looks great too!

Thanks again.

Best 73 de Jeff WA2SYN
wa2syn@li.net