Phyllistran questions ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Phyllistran questions ?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 13:05:44 -0400

>I boutgh few month ago a KLM KT34XA heavy duty option.
>The antenna assembly have a Phyllistran Cable  1/8'' to guy the boom.
>We have an open discussion with others EA3 friends about phyllistran.
>This is a not familiar material on EA.
>I look on several US radio magazines that on US is a very familiar
>material to guy the tower's.
>Can any one send me the characteristics of phyllistran for diferent
>diameters and his experience for long life terms ????.

Fernando --

     Phillystran is a non-conducting guy wire material made out of aramid
fiber and is like Kevlar - strong and lightweight.  It comes in different
diameters and strengths:

HPTG1200I - 1200 pound strength (545 kg), .19 inch diameter (4.8 mm)
HPTG2100I - 2100 pound (953 kg), .24 inch dia., (6.1 mm)
HPTG4000I - 4000 pound (1816 kg), .30 inch dia., (7.6 mm)
HPTG6700I - 6700 pound (3,042 kg), .37 inch dia., (9.4 mm)

    You need to use factory preformed guy grips for the bigger sizes but for
boom trusses using the smallest size, cable clamps are okay.  It is a
commercial product and its PVC jacket gives abrasion and UV resistance so
that its service life is probably 20 years or longer.

73,  Steve  K7LXC