To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Summary: Liquid Electrical Tape
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:24:48 -0500
Here is my original post of my question regarding the liquid electrical tape
followed by the responses that I received. It looks like the stuff might be
worth trying.

73, Richard - K5NA

While going through Home Depot the other day I stumbled upon an interesting
product. It is "Liquid Electrical Tape" by Starbrite(tm). Apparently it is a
coating of some kind that you can use in lieu of electrical tape. It comes
in a small can with a brush built into the cap; a lot like school glue.

The package says it adheres to all metal, plastic, vinyl, rubber and
composite surfaces. It will stop terminal screws from loosening due to
vibration, dries in 5 minutes (completely cures in 24 hours), and comes in
five colors (black, red, green, white, and clear). The photo on the package
shows it being brushed on to a terminal strip and on to exposed wires. The
specs say it is totally waterproof,  UV resistant, will not peel or unravel,
flame retardant, works from -30F to +255F, and has super dielectric strength.

Does anyone know about this stuff? What would be the disadvantages to using
this for waterproofing. I don't want to start another general waterproofing
thread, but I would like to know if anyone has experience with this stuff.

BTW, the packaging says something about the state of California knowing this
stuff causes cancer in small animals, etc. But it may be OK to use outdoors
(my comment).

73, Richard

Richard,

I'm certainly not the expert K7LXC and some of the others are, but I first
ran into this stuff 3 years ago at Dayton.  I applied it to every joint and
connector I have outside right after I got home (Apr 93), and every
application is still intact, firmly adherent to coax, metal, and plastic.
 I've had occassion to take apart 2 connectors in the past 6 months, and both
were clean and dry.  I have not noticed any effect (yet) from the sun, which
is intense here in Colorado.  Application couldn't be simpler, and it comes
off in one piece after you make a slit down its length.  PL259s are spotless
after you peel it off, etc.  In my opinion, the stuff is incredible.  (So
don't tell me everyone says my teeth are going to glow in the dark because I
used it....)

73, Steve
N3SL

******

>While going through Home Depot the other day I stumbled upon an interesting
>product..(text removed).

I have a can of the same stuff at home and have used it for a number of
applications.

>flame retardant, works from -30F to +255F, and has super dielectric strength.

I haven't tested some of the detail specifications, but it does work as
represented on the can.

>What would be the disadvantages to using this for waterproofing.....(text
removed)

Well, I have used it with good success in lieu of electrical tape, mainly
where I didn't want tape to become unravelled (i.e., a mobile antenna part)
or where tape wasn't easy to apply (a hard-to-reach wiring joint or something
like that). I make sure that the thing to be covered is clean and free of
oil/grease/etc.

It is a little peculiar in texture - a bit like handling RTV (silicone rubber),
but not quite as thick. It seems to take longer than 5 minutes to set - I'd
allow a couple of hours before disturbing the application, particularly if you
end up with a thick glob somewhere (it is a bit hard to control the thickeness
of the application because it tries to adhere to itself while it's still
liquid - if that makes any sense...). It slightly reminds me of rubber cement.

Once cured it seems to have very little structural strength - I wouldn't use
it as an adhesive.

I've had the same can of the stuff for about a year now - probably have used
about half of it on various spots. No failures found yet. I only have the
black color (that's all that was available where I am located). The stuff
remaining in the can seems to have thickened some (I'll probably discard the
can soon and get another one) but it is still useful.

73 Dave WB0GAZ dgf@netcom.com

Richard,
        FWIW, I've been using it for a few years now and it seems to be
holding pretty well in some applications (but then I'm not the expert - I'm
sure there are some out there).

                                73,  Mark k0EJ

*******

I used that stuff on satellite systems for a while.  Exposure to the sun
shortens the life expectancy and it flakes off.  I quit using it.  Maybe
others have had better results.  gl   73  Lynn - no9z

Heck Richard... I wasn't gonna paint it on any animals anyhow. 73
--
        Ed Tanton  N4XY  (770) 971-0436  Marietta, GA
        email: n4xy@avana.net   URL: Coming Soon

*******

From: hyder@juno.com (JACK W HYDER, JR.)

A couple years ago I picked up a can of this product for a $1.00 at a
local (non-ham) flea market.  I've used it periodically to insulate
connections which were too small for tape or heat shrink.   It  has
worked very well.  It is also handy to coat taped connections  to
prevent the tape from eventually coming loose.

Incidentally, I went back to the flea market the following weekend to
stock up on my $1.00 bargain.  I was too late -- all had been sold.  I
am glad to know this is still on the market.

I saw that stuff, too....it looked interesting but I didn't see any
disclaimer about UV resistance, something kinda important here in FL!  Please
forward your summary for the group....also, I dunno if this is the same stuff
that is promoted as a way to make "padded" habdles for your pliers, etc....it
also got my eye.

zx

k1zx@contesting.com

*****

Richard,

I used this stuff rather extensively in putting together the station at VP2M.
Unfortunately I haven't had opportunity to see how it has held up under the
weather,
UV, hurricanes and volcanic activity. Will let you know as soon as the
results are in!

73, Joe, W5ASP