Tower guying questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Tower guying questions
From: kb0uy@iland.net (John Bates)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 05:49:46 -0500
albraun@socketis.net wrote:

>         I was working on my tower yesterday and noticed a potential
> problem.  The tower is 100 ft of Rohn 45 with a Mosley Pro-67 on
> top, guyed at 3 levels (33, 63 and 93 feet) with 6700 lb Phillystran.
> The guy points consist of 4 ft long screw-in anchors (the big ones
> sold at the farm & home store for tying down mobile homes).  I dug
> holes and poured concrete since I couldn't get them to screw.  The
> holes are roughly straight down, bigger at the bottom, but the
> anchors themselves are at a slant, roughly parallel to the axis of
> the guy cables.  The concrete cylinders are each about a foot in
> diameter.  This installation has been in place for almost exactly
> 5 years.
>
>         I think that 2 of them may be starting to pull out a little.
> The concrete pad for one of them now sits about 2 inches above the
> ground level, and the other is about 1 inch above.  There are spaces
> just big enough to fit my fingers into that go at least 6 inches into
> the ground on the side away from the tower.  I noticed the 2 incher
> last spring but it didn't occur to me at the time what was happening.
> I don't think it has changed much since then.
>
> The ground in my area is mostly clay and rock without a lot of topsoil.
>
>         My questions are these:
> 1.  Is there anything I can do to salvage the installation, such as
> putting something into the holes to fill the spaces?
>
> 2.  Should I do something right away or could it wait until the spring?
> I'm going to be hard pressed for time to plant new guy anchors before it
> gets cold.
>
> I realize that the best solution is to put down new anchors.  I also
> understand that it isn't possible to give reliable answers without
> having seen my situation.  However I'd appreciate whatever thoughts
> anyone might have.  Thanks and 73 - Alan NS0B

> * Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *
> * Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *
Al
In this part of the country, the REA goes 5' down, plants the anchor and
at the bottom 2 feet (above the plate) they put in over sized rocks
(2"). They then tap the rocks with a bar and fill the rest of the hole
with dirt. Their directives state that this is better than concrete.

John (Jay) KB0UY
Macks Creek, Mo