roof mounting help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: roof mounting help
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 17:04:49 -0400
>       A couple weeks ago I asked opinions about how to advise a friend
>of mine who wanted to mount a mast through his roof.  He has decided
>against doing it that way for a variety of reasons, probably including
>some which were expressed in the responses I received.
>
>       He has begun looking at the idea of a roof tripod.  The antenna
>he will mount will be a Mosely CL-33 tribander (I think it is about 5 or
>6 sf wind area).  He is considering one of the roof tripods by Glen
>Martin Engineering.  He also would like to use a long enough mast to get
>the antenna about 10 feet above the tripod.  My questions are:
>
>       1. Has anyone had any experience with this particular brand of
>          tripods?  I believe I've heard good things about some of the
>          products made by Glen Martin, but I have no experience with
>          roof tripods.  (The wind ratings he read to me will be more
>          than adequate for this antenna.)
>
>       2. Is it possible for him to safely mount the antenna on such a
>          long mast above the top of the tripod?  Intuitively this seems
>          like it will put too much of a strain on the tripod.  (I also
>          don't have any idea how the antenna can be safely installed
>          by the worker.)  It would seem to me that the tripod will need
>          some sort of guying if the antenna sits very high above it.
>
>       Any ideas will be appreciated.
>
>73, Dave Clemons K1VUT

When faced with this problem in the past (for my customers) I've usually
elected to use a Rohn 45 top section mounted on a custom base.  The base
can be designed a number of different ways as long as it spreads the forces
out over a large enough area.

This method has quite a few advantages, including ability to add another
section if more height is desired.
--
Steve Maki K8LX
steve@oakcom.com