Effect of Altitude...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Effect of Altitude...
From: 0005543629@mcimail.com (David & Barbara Leeson)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 96 21:56 EST
To first order, the wind pressure is proportional to the air density,
so altitude should have some effect.  I haven't looked up the relationship
between pressure and density, but it seems they should be proportional
at equilibrium, so the wind pressure should be roughly proportional to
the air pressure.

However, a problem I've been interested in for some time is, what about
the density of air plus rain during a storm?  It seems that the density
of the wind-blown water must count for something, especially in heavy
squalls.  This hasn't come to the top of my list, but I would guess this
is a source of additional antenna forces that can't be ignored.

Sorry I don't have a more elegant answer re altitude, but the expression
for wind force is first order in air density for sure.

73 de Dave, W6QHS