Cushcraft R4 (experience)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cushcraft R4 (experience)
From: csilver@riosoft.softex.br (Carlos Augusto S. Pereira)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 10:28:58 -0300
Dear friends,

I had an experience very interesting. I compared my Cushcraft R4 with a
brazilian antenna similar to the Cushcraft AV3 (with 6 wire radials) and for my
suprise this second one performed better than the R4. The R4 is extremely noisy
compared to other antennas.

It's interesting because the Cushcraft R4, R5, R7 and R7000 are very similar
(and very expensive also) and the Manufacturer claims outstanding performance.
It's convenient for limited areas but after one year using this antenna I
really gave up. NO RECEPTION!!!! Although, It's good for transmitting, I have
never missed a new one in pile-ups (when I listen to them, HI!).

73,

Carlos - PY1CAS

ps. Both antennas were 20 foot over the roof.