Da Birds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Da Birds
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:13:22 -0700
At 10:02 PM 10/8/96 -0600, AA7BG Matt Trott wrote:
>I know this MUST have come up before, but.......
>
>How do you all keep the pesky birds from whitewashing towers/antennas? I've
>been having flocks of at least a hundred perching on guylines, antennas, and
>the top plate of the tower. The guano was about an inch thick in a matter of
>weeks!

Aesthetics aside, I'm also wondering because I've heard that Force 12
linear-loaded antennas are prone to shorting from bird poop on the fibreglas
insulators between sections of the elements.  I have lots of birds on my C-3
every day, and it's about to become a C-4.  Anything I should/could put on
the fibreglas to help shed the poop?

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
... and not changing!