Rotating tower bearings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rotating tower bearings
From: crb@nanoteq.co.za (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 10:37:21 +200
I'm in the process of making a 40 m (130') rotating tower.  The
rotating portion is being made of something similar to 45G.  I need
to fabricate bearings for the slip rings to run on.  Some questions
come to mind:

* Does anyone have suggestions about suitable bearings?
* Are there rollers, made for some other purpose, that would fit the
  bill?
* Should the surface be rubberised, or be bare metal?
* Should a bearing be supported on both ends of the axis, or is one
  end sufficient?

Direct replies will be summarised on the Reflector.

Thanks

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ