Flagpole as antenna support

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Flagpole as antenna support
From: n3rd@ix.netcom.com (Dave Hawes)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 10:59:56 -0400
Hi!

Regrettably, Allan VP9AD, has found it necessary to move into a
condominium in Bermuda, and has rented out his hilltop location.
However, always the ham, he is interested in the possibility of
using a flagpole as a support for a temporary 20 meter dipole which
he would hoist for a sked, and then remove.  He's wondering if any of
the group have any experience with flagpoles as either antenna
supports, or as antenna radiators.  Is there an advantage to aluminum
versus fiberglass poles if used as a support?  It's sort of a broad
question, but perhaps somebody has some relevent experience or can
provide some suggestions.

For now, replies should be made to me, and I'll forward them to
Allan.

Thanks in advance, folks.

73 - Dave N3RD
n3rd@ix.netcom.com