Guy supports

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Guy supports
From: kb3aug@erols.com (Bill Hinkle)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:21:02 +0000
Michael Causey wrote:

> Hello gentlemen:
>
> I would like to put up elevated guy-wire supports, approx 5-6 feet above
> ground.  What type pipe material should I use and how wide and deep should I
> make the holes?  The tower will be 100 ft of r 25g.  Thanks, Mike.
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

Mike, I have 90 feet of 25G up and I have one anchor 4 feet out of the
ground. I used a 4 by 10 steel beam, ( 4 inches by 10 pounds a foot).
It might have been 12 pounds a foot, I don't remember now. I also used
an angle on the back flange to give it more strength, looks like this
<H, top veiw looking down. The angle might have been a 2 X 2 X 3/8",
what ever fit from edge to edge. The top of the beam has a plate with 2
other plates welded to it, like this, TT, but turn it upside down and
place the equalizer plates in the middle. The hole is 4 feet deep and
13 to 14 inches across. I welded 1/2" square stock bent like this, L,
on both sides of the web in 3 places to hold it in the concrete. Works
real well. The other 2 are the same but only 18" out of the ground, easy
to mow around. If you want to go 5 or 6 feet, I would use a bigger beam
and make the holes about 18" across. Better safe then sorry. I work in a
steel shop and the guys in the shop said mine would hold up the world.
Hope this helps.
                     73, Bill
P.S. The point of the angle points away from the tower,<H ----tower.