Are all black Zip cable ties UV resistant?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Are all black Zip cable ties UV resistant?
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 00:31:17 -0400 (EDT)
Scotch 88 is an expensive but incredibly durable tape.  I applied some to
my 40M 3 element beam in 1973 (yes... 1973!) and it is still intact after
23 years of exposure to the weather.  Like any tape, it is subject to
"flagging" if improperly applied.  To avoid flagging and to assure very
long life, install the last wrap with minimal tension, cut it from the
roll rather than snapping it off, and apply a clear acrylic spray over the
tape.

Many commercial tower companies use a few twists of Type THHN solid wire
to support cables on towers.  A few years ago when I last bought it, a
500 foot roll of #12 solid THHN wire was only $6.50 from McMaster-Carr.

I've tried cable ties on towers, but they invariably become brittle and
fail.  Some take longer than others, but eventually I replace them with
#12 solid THHN or Scotch 88.

73!
Frank
W3LPL