Magnetic Variation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Magnetic Variation
From: Robert Brown <bobnm7m@baker.cnw.com> (Robert Brown)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 12:18:41 -0700 (PDT)
Friends in Radio Land,

I have agonized enough, watching this discussion about magnetic variation.
The information needed can be found on a map from the Defense Mapping
Agency (they have a 800-number).  In fact, they have a full set of
geomagnetic maps for those interested.  But for magnetic variation, ask
for DMA Stock No. WOBZC42.  I don't recall the price but if you're
serious, it is not unreasonable.

For some typical values, consider the following for the compass variation:

                Seattle         22 degs E of North
                Bismarck. ND    10 degs E of North
                Chicago, IL      1 deg  W of North
                Detroit, MI      6 degs W of North
                Buffalo, NY     10 degs W of North
                New York City   15 degs W of North
                Los Angeles     14 degs E of North
                El Paso, TX     10 degs E of North
                New Orleans      3 degs E of North
                Charleston       5 degs W of North
                Wash, D.C.      10 degs W of North

That ought to get you oriented.  Now the next question is the width of
your antenna pattern.

73,

Bob, NM7M