legal motorized towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: legal motorized towers
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 18:51:46 -0400
One ham that could crank his tower up at night and had to bring it down
during the day was the late N6RJ.  I spoke to Jim on one of his trips to HRO
Atlanta.

Gwinnett County, Georgia allows towers to 50' with no permit or special use
requirement.  Above 50' they allow towers (crank up or otherwise) if you
apply for the proper permit and have engineering drawings from the
manufacturer.  You are supposed to go through a special use permit,  but
with a crank up my county commissioner told me not to bother they have
enough problems already.   Towers such as mine were grandfathered from the
special use permit anyway.

Jim N4UCK got several Georgia counties (Dekalb and Fulton for sure) to allow
antennas to heights above 75' in winning the N4NX case several years ago.

Now if there was something we could do about the CC&R's in EVERY NEW
subdivision!!!!

Dave K4JRB