Half Sloper Info

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Half Sloper Info
From: csilver@riosoft.softex.br (Carlos Augusto S. Pereira)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 18:48:54 -0200
Dear friends,

At last I decided to try the 80 meters half sloper and I'll raise it this
weekend for the CQWW CW.
However I have some questions:

1) According to the Antenna Book I must have a tower at least at 1/4 wavelenght
over the ground. It means that for maximum performance this height is required
or it means that with the shorter tower it won't work? In my inexperience on
antennas I believe that with a shorter tower the vertical radiation angle will
increase, for example from 30 degrees to 60 degreees! Am I right? If it is true
I'll try anyway because a low dipole will radiate directly to the sky (90
degrees) and I'm trying to avoid it.

2) The antenna book also mentions that the low end of the leg must have a
height of 10-15 ft. In order words if the SWR is not low enough you must raise
the low end to provide a good match. Did anybody experience something like that?

My antenna cannot have all the requirements pointed out by the antenna book but
I'll try anyway! Although I'd like to receive some notes about Half Sloper
installations considering all the problems I have. My short tower is 40 ft over
the concrete pavement (roof) and there is not a yagi on the top. The ground is
not a problem, I live 1 mile from the sea and I will ground the down lead with
an 8 ft ground rod.

Thanks and CU you all in the CQWW CW.

73,

Carlos - PY1CAS

ps. Sorry if I bother you again with the same old story.