Shunt-fed tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Shunt-fed tower
From: ke5fi@wt.net (C. Logan Dietz (KE5FI))
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:37:36 -0800
Steven R. Schmidt wrote:

> I have an Easyway HD 40 (41') crank-up tower that I'm trying to shunt-feed
> for 80 meters.

I have used many shunt fed towers in the past.  They work very well with
radials.  I would tap the shunt on to your tower between 20 and 30 feet
from the ground.  Conduit would be a good shunt, but you can hang some
old coax away from the tower and use the braid.

It can be tuned by two vacuum variables one in series with the center
conductor to the lower end of the shunt and one to ground (if necessary).
When it is matched, measure the caps and replace with transmitting
capacitors.  This also works on inverted "L" antennas too.

Chuck, KE5FI