Non-magnetic Stainless Steel???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Non-magnetic Stainless Steel???
From: 0002090328@mcimail.com (DANIEL VIOLETTE)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 96 01:44 EST
-- [ From: Dan Violette * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Try these facts:

All stainless steel is made with iron (that is what makes it a steel).  What
makes it non-magnetic is the alloying (mixing) of chromium, nickel, etc. in
various ratios and amounts that 'separate/mix' the magnetic poles of the steel
and make it non-magnetic.  In fact they are more than 80% iron (in most cases).

300 series stainless (304, 316, etc. alloys) are non-magnetic and highly
corrosion resistant (rust resistant).
GOOD STUFF, and vary in strengths like carbon steel and can be very strong.

400 series stainless steel is magnetic and will rust in high moisture
environments (e.g., razor blades).

These are generalizations, but for the most part hold true.  In my job I have
used a magnetic on rusting stainless steel and easily find 400 series stainless
steels (sometimes where 300 series was to be used).

Moral:  A magnet is your friend with stainless steel.

Dan Violette   KI6X <DViolette@mcimail.com>