Rusty Cable Clips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rusty Cable Clips
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 23:25:16 -0500
Hi guys,

I've been reading the thread about the rusty cable clips and I too would
like to know if  there is anything that can be done to prevent them from
rusting. I've been to my local marine dealer and he carries just about
anything you could ever ask for in stainless hardware. He has the cable
clips in stainless too. However, at over $3.00 each for the small clips I
decided that was simply too much to spend consicering the large number of
clips needed.

He had the thimbles in stainless too at 40 cents each. That's also somewhat
outrageous. Looks like I'll just spray everything with a "cold galvanizing
paint" and if that doesn't last, be resigned to the hassle of replacing the
stuff every few years.

Someone suggested heating the hardware in an oven and then cooling it in a
bath of oil. I wonder if anyone has heard of this treatment and if it has
any merit?

Roger, K2JAS