Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Antenna
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 13:01:04 -0500

>I'm thinking of putting up my first tower&beam antenna. The tower will
>be 55ft crank up, either US TOWER or TRI-EX.  The 2 companys I'm
>interested in are Force-12 and Sommer.
>I would like to get gain on 40m-10m, including 17m&12m.  A supper
>station is not what the plan is but rather a station that can work dx,
>and rag chew while eliminating some of the crowd and QRM.  Any info on
>towers and ant will be appresiated.
>As I get more info I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.

Hi, Rich --

    I have written and presented a paper (at DAyton Contest Forum, W9DXCC and
Huntsville hamfests) called "Building A One Tower Station" that covers the
same antenna ground that you're asking about.  One of the antenna options I
recommend is the Force 12 C-4XL which fits your criteria.  I don't recommend
the Sommer or Mosleys because they don't have the proven performance that
some other antennas do.  If they did, there would be hundreds or even
thousands of happy users out there.  I am not aware of that overwhelming
recognition.  While the Mosley is easy to assemble, the Sommer is even more
complicated than  the KT34XA.

    This is only my opinion based on my years of experience as a ham,
contester and professional tower and antenna installer.  Additional comments
are welcome.  If you want a copy of my paper, send me your postal address and
I'll send you one.

73,  Steve  K7LXC