pyrod??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: pyrod??
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:27:07 -0500

>  Living outside of Indianapolis, Ind. do you see any problems with the
>      height vs wind load? Or would it be advisable to only go to 80'
instead
>      of the full 100'?
>
>      Based on the data, what suggestions do you have for size, depth
>      of the pad and what psi concrete should we use?

Hi, Steve --

    Sounds like a fun project and a stout installation.  Do you have the
Pyrod catalog so you can see what series it is?  That should get you closer
and maybe their engineering or sales department can make some general
statements about it.

    I would get the Rohn catalog and use it as a "similar" design.  It has
base pad dimensions that you can use as rough equivalents.

     If you are in Hancock County, it is only a 70 MPH wind speed zone; the
lowest rating that the TIA-222 gives so you don't have much in the way of
wind problems.

    Nevertheless, please get a PE involved so that you don't make any serious
mistakes.  The ARRL has volunteer engineers available that may do
inexpensively.  Call some engineers in the Yellow Pages and see if one is
willing to help you.  Without some basic factory data or calcs, they'll have
to re-calculate everything though.  You really need to get some data from the
manufacturer.

>      I have a tower man ready to put this together and a crane to place it
>      but we would like to investigate these questions before we proceed.

     Yes, please do.

73,  Steve  K7LXC