Ok, What to use for a Mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Ok, What to use for a Mast?
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 14:18:07 -0600
I've been trying to keep up with the information on Masts, but seem to be
missing something here.

I am going to re-do my mast on my 60 foot tower in the spring.  I'm not even
going to tell you what I currently have because it is wrong, but it has
worked for 10 years.  But it is time.  Understand, the only thing this mast
is doing is keeping up a TA-33.  (No laughing from the back row, please)
The TA-33 is close to the throat of Rohn pointy-top tower and the rotor is
high in the tower.

My plan is to place 2" mast into the tower, lower the rotor to the bottom of
the first section and place a thrust bearing where the rotor would mount at
the top.  I plan to place a slightly larger antenna on the tower in the
fall...like a TH7 or .... something!  I don't know yet.

If schedule 80 iron or steel pipe is not recommended...then what is?  Where
do you get it?  What is the cost?

I live in Southcentral Kansas, near Wichita, which is known for a tornado or
twoand strong straight line winds from time to time.  What kills towers out
here is four or five days of 30 to 40 MPH winds.

Comments to:

Lee, K0WA
k0wa@southwind.net