Cable Clips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cable Clips
From: sawyers@inav.net (Steve Sawyers n0yvy)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 22:13:56 -0600
If I have something that is rusted, I take it apart, and wire brush it
to take off anything loose. Then I use something called Metal Prep by
3M. It is an acid that takes the red rust that is remaining on the
surface and does a chemical conversion of the FeO2 to Fe03. (I think
that is the right chemistry.) The FeO3 is a tightly adhering stable form
of black oxide. It basically kills the rust so it won't keep working
under the paint or cold galvanizing. Then after it all dries for a a day
or so, I paint or cold galvanize as required.

On new stuff that I weld up and don't bother getting hot dip galvanized,
I use the same treatment.

I have a welded up gable bracket mast for the weather radar antenna on
the end of my white house for 5 years now and I don't have any rust
streaks yet.

A word of caution, if you are starting with galvanized material, it will
strip it off, and the resulting mess is a toxic waste due to the heavy
metal contact.

Another IMPORTANT caution: THIS STUFF IS FAIRLY CONCENTRATED ACID. YOU
MUST WEAR GOGGLES AND GLOVES AND SPLASH APRON.

I started using the stuff working in my father's body shop as a kid.
When we would fix a rust spot, (in Iowa we get lots of rusting cars) we
would torch out the old rusted area back to solid metal. Then gas weld
in a piece of new metal (or old hood beat to fit). The weld had to be
completely solid with no gaps or holes. Then we would take a special
spray gun and spray Metal Prep on both the inside and outside till it
dripped on the floor. (Remember, we were doing all of this before OSHA!)
The Metal Prep would neutralize any remaining rust. (It also did a
number on the concrete floor!) We would then bondo fill and paint the
outside and spray tar on the inside.

Before we went to the Metal Prep we had lots of stuff that would show
rust in a year or so. After we went to the metal prep we never had a
complaint.

de n0yvy steve