Rotor leads

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rotor leads
From: rhealy@mdsroc.com (Rus Healy)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:57:18 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, C. R. Crutchfield, K5BC wrote:

> I have a tower located 200' from the radio shack, the tower is 125'
> tall.  My plans are to run the leads in conduit below ground and am
> wondering how well the rotor (TailTwister) will perform.  By the time I
> get through running the lead for the rotor it will be approx. 350'.
> The lead I have is 2/12 gage and 6/14 gage.  I'm hoping the voltage drop
> won't be that much but am not sure.  Any suggestions?

It'll work fine. I have a similar run--260 feet--but the wires are all
#16. Initially I had trouble getting the brake solenoid to pull in--it
draws the most current. So I moved the starting capacitor to the rotator.
I put it into an old vitamin bottle with three holes in the lid--two for
the capacitor leads and one to allow air circulation so water doesn't get
trapped inside. Then I doubled up the two extra wires in the cable on the
brake solenoid circuit. Works like a charm.

--73, Rus

Rus Healy, NJ2L
nj2l@mdsroc.com