remote switches for multiple antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: remote switches for multiple antennas
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:59:00 -0800
For what it's worth (.02?) here's my solution to the many-antenna problem on
the cheap...

I have a Heathkit 4-position remote antenna switch selecting 160, 80, 40 and
20-10.  I then cloned the technology to build my own relay switchboxes that
give me 4 positions each with only two wires (off, +DC, -DC and AC).  I
cascade these after the Heath remote box, using ordinary 4-wire telephone
cable to switch them (over a 350-foot run).  That potentially  gives me a
choice of 4 antennas for each band (or in the case of 20-10, the high bands)

Reliability could be a problem, with cascaded active switching systems.
I've designed it so that at least if things fail de-activated, each set of
antennas will default to the most generally useful one. So far, so good, and
the add-on boxes (and their controllers and power supplies) only cost about
$65 each with all-new parts from RS.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
West (bigawd) Virginia