Long mast / crankup tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Long mast / crankup tower
From: jleikhim@nettally.com (Leikhim, Joe)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 23:41:38 -0500
Adam Kerner wrote:

> I would like this to be down 8' or so to minimize
> the "top-heavy-ness" of the whole schmear.  OK,  how do I get to it when the
> tower is cranked down to install?  (3 nested sections don't
leave more than an
> RCH of room between diagonals, etc.)  I don't climb the tower when it's
> up.  I thought of welding some strong, solid steel stops on each leg of
> the lower two sections, which would keep the tower from lowering all the
> way, a

I wouldn't weld something to a perfectly good tower. I also have a crank
up (in process of erecting) and have thought about what steps I would
take to climb the tower in the event I had to deal with something
preventing it's normal crank down. I am considering keeping several
lengths of 4x4's around to block the descent of each section during such
a climb. Any thoughts???

--
Joe Leikhim
Jleikhim@nettally.com

"tv dinner by the pool,
i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967