Cold Temps & Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cold Temps & Guys
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 08:35:21 -0600
Ok...Here is another dumb questions I've always wondered about!

How does cold temperatures affect guy wires?  Do they shrink in cold and
expand in hot?

Now...  I use to have 1/4 inch guys on the tower several years ago that dod
just that.  Well, this time when I put up the tower I purchase new guy wire
(the other stuff was hard to work with and I didn't need all that guys wire
for a 60 foot tower...besides, I hade saddle and clamps...so I moved on to
grips).  I've been checking them now that the temp has been at 5 to 10
degrees for the past week and they have not tighted like the old guys.

So, all you tower jocks out there...can you tell this "hon-yock" what gives?

Lee Buller (Ho Ho Ho - Merry Christmas)
k0wa@southwind.net

"I like towers, but hate to get higher than my head"