TRUE NORTH QUERY

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: TRUE NORTH QUERY
From: aa6eg@tmx.com (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:25:44 -0800 (PST)
Gary,
Call your local airport control tower or FBO, and ask them what the
magnetic declination is for your area.  This is the difference in degrees
between true north, and magnetic north.  It drifts slightly each year,
but not amounts of concern for antenna pointing.  In Richmond, VA a 1965
map I have, shows the declination as being 13.5 west; That is, true north
is really east of where the compass needle points by 13.5 degres.  Annual
change in 1965 was 5 minutes westward per year.
Good Luck, de Pat, AA6EG  aa6eg@tmx.com