Raising (Hell) Beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Raising (Hell) Beams
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 09:24:15 -0600
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I ask for a "cookbook" method raising large antennas.  So far, I haven't got
any pictures, but lets see if I can write a little verbage here as to what
people are telling me.

1.  Place a rope from the top of the mast to a solid connecting point away
from the tower.

2.  Install two pullies on the rope.

3.  Move the antenna under the rope and secure it to the lower pully on the
rope.  The boom should be perpendicular to the rope.  Make sure that the
boom to mast clamp is facing the right direction.   The antenna should be
tied to the balance point.

4.  Attach and 3 to 4 foot arm on the boom parallel to the rope using a
U-Bold.  At the outer reach or the arm attach the second pully.  You now are
supported by two pullies.  The reason to put the arm on the boom to act as a
lever and keep the antenna from rolling over or flipping while raising the
antenna.  It cannot flip over with this arraingment.

5.  OPTIONAL:  Tag lines.  A tag line can be place on each end of the boom
to keep the antenna horitontal during lifting.  Tag lines are very long
loops of rope which can be taken off after the antenna is in place.  Smaller
rope or cord could be used for the Tag Lines

6.  Place a pully at the top of the tower and string a pull line through the
pulling and attach it to the arm on the boom of the antenna.  The pull line
rope then goes to the ground.

7.  Slow pull the antenna up the rope until it comes to a place where you
want to attach it to the mast.  A person on the ground might have to loosen
the tram line to allow the placement of the antenna on the mast.  I suggest
that a "hay-knot" be used at the lower end of the tram line to insure that
the rope doesn't get out of hand.

Please make comments and suggestions as to this very simple seven point
cookbook method.  I would like to know what I missed because I have never
done it this way before.  I want to incorporate your thoughts and experience
into the cookbook.  Thanks

73

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net