Cushcraft A3 Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Cushcraft A3 Problem
From: ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM (ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 97 12:55:46 CST
Here in central Texas we are having our "once every 5 year" ice storm.
Prior to the storm, my A3 at 50 ft. was functioning properly.  Yesterday,
I hit the tune button on my IC737 and the rig refused to tune.  I checked
the swr at the shack end with an Autek RF1 and everything appeared to be
fine but the rig still will not tune up.  I switched to my old homebrew
20M vertical and everything is fine.  The traps on the A3 are installed
so that the relief holes are on the bottom and the trap ends (plastic or
whatever they are) were fine when I installed the ant in June of this
year.  Any ideas or would this be considered normal?  The problem occurs
on all three bands.

Thanks,
Wayne  AJ5M   ehayes@vnet.ibm.com